Piles is another name for hemorrhoids. It is inflammation of soft tissues and venules in the anal canal. why this occurs, is because of the loss of elastic tissue support and strength. Piles are the most common cause of blood in the stool.
Causes Of Piles Are
so many conditions cause loss of elastic tissue support of the anal canal and make a person prone to cause piles and five commoner causes are
- constipation– when someone has constipation for a long time period, they have greater chances to develop piles.
- diarrhoea- a long-standing diarrheal condition makes more chances to develop piles.
- pregnancy– during pregnancy increased uterus size increase pressure on the gut and can cause piles. Piles can develop after pregnancy also.
- Unhealthy defecating technique – like straining too much, prolonged sitting in the commode for prolong period of time etc.
- Unhealthy food habits – eating food less in fibres make you constipation prone and also for piles.
Five Common SYMPTOMS of Piles
- BLEEDING- Bleeding piles are usually the first symptom a patient complain of, which is usually painless and fresh red colour’. if it is associated with weight loss and you are in old age group kindly meet your doctor early.
- SWELLING – one may have complained of a hard swollen lump coming out from the anal opening. In most cases, it usually returns back to the anal canal. But in longstanding cases, it may require to reposition it manually by a patient
- MUCUS DISCHARGE – a patient may have complained of sticky thick fluid coming from anus
- ITCHING – mucus near anus irritates skin near anal opening leading to itching’
- PAINFUL PASSAGE OF STOOL.
GRADES OF HAEMORRHOIDES/PILES
Total four grades of haemorrhoids are seen
|GRADE 1||ONLY BLEEDING|
|GRADE 2||BLEEDING WITH PILES MASSS REDUCES SPONTANEOUSLY|
|GRADE 3||PILES MASS REQUIRE MANUAL REPOSITION|
|GRADE 4||PILES MASSS REMAINS OUTSIDE PERMANENTLY|
diagnosis of piles depend on
-digital rectal examination
Does piles causes longterm problems?
yes | these are problems which can occur , if left untreated
- strangulation and infection – untreated piles can become too much inflamed causing loss of its own blood supply leading to strangulation and infection. however, infection is very uncommon.
- anaemia – an unattended bleeding piles for a prolonged period can cause deficiency of blood in your body.
Do piles get corrected on its own?
yes, piles in its very initial stage can correct on its own if someone modify his/her lifestyles. like
-Eat a diet in high fiber content like vegetables and fruits and avoid unhealthy diets.
DOES PILES GET WORSE ON EATING-chillis/ milk products(paneer)/garlic/ onions etc —-NO, piles don’t get worse on eating these-takes plenty of liquids.
-correct unhealthy defecating techniques like straining, long toilet time, etc
-takes stool softeners like is a full husk, laxative if feeling constipated.
HOW TO CORRECT PILES THAT DO NOT CORRECT ON THEIR OWN
A variety of piles of cream are sold over the counter.
- SCLEROTHERAPY – sclerosant drugs are injected to cause fibrosis and shrinkage in piles mass
- BANDING- a constricting band is placed at the neck of piles mass which cut-offs its blood supply and piles cut on its own and falls.
- HAEMORRHOIDECTOMY- piles mass is taken out surgically under spinal or local anaesthesia .it is the most effective way and has the least chances of recurrence.
- STAPLED HAEMORRHOIDOPEXY – a specially designed device is used to cut some piles tissue along with it blocks blood supply of piles.
- HAEMORRHOIDAL ARTERY LIGATION – under radiological guidance blood vessel which supply piles mass are ligated.
all this information is given purely for the knowledge intention and must not be used as a treatment guideline.